Azure SQL Database service belongs to Azure SQL product family. It is an intelligent and scalable relational database based on a cloud solution. It is characterized by reliability and the fact that it is always up-to-date. What’s more, it offers several automated features supported by artificial intelligence that optimize performance and durability. What are the benefits of using Azure SQL Database for your company? Is it worth choosing a solution offered by Microsoft? You will read about it in this article.
What is a database?
A database is a structured set of information, i.e. data which is stored in electronic form in a computer system. A database is usually controlled by a database management system called DBMS for short. These data and the DBMS together with the related applications, form a database system, often called a database.
Most databases use SQL (Structured Query Language) to save data and create queries about it. Since the appearance of the first databases in the 1960s, they have undergone significant changes. Today, it is primarily cloud-based databases such as Azure SQL Database that set the standards for aggregating, sorting, storing and managing data.
When data is the driving force behind your business, you probably want to make sure that your databases are reliable, secure and available whenever you need them. Azure SQL Database is a fully managed platform as a service (PaaS) that supports most of the database management features such as updating, enhancing, backing up and monitoring without user involvement. Azure SQL Database is always running on the latest, stable version of SQL Server database engine and improved operating system with 99.99% availability.
The PaaS capabilities built into Azure SQL Database allow you to focus on domain-based database administration and optimization activities that are critical to your business. Importantly, Microsoft takes care of all fixes and updates of SQL and operating system. So you don’t have to manage your database infrastructure.
Azure SQL Database provides predictable performance with multiple resource types, service layers and computational sizes. It offers dynamic scalability without downtime, built-in intelligent optimization, global scalability and availability and advanced security options. These capabilities allow you to focus on fast application development and acceleration of time to market, rather than managing your virtual machines and infrastructure. The SQL database is currently located in 38 data centres around the world. So you can run your database in the nearest data centre or preferred by the nature of your business.
What are the benefits of Azure SQL Database for companies?
By choosing Azure SQL Database, you gain:
- Data protection – built-in control mechanisms and intelligent threat detection ensure data security,
- Efficient and reliable database – the applied artificial intelligence solutions and high built-in availability allow maintaining the most top performance and resilience of the database, with an SLA guaranteeing operation at the level of up to 99.99%,
- Easy to use database – configuration, tuning, backup is included in the package,
- Access to the latest SQL Database – Azure SQL Database engine is updated continuously, which translates into comfort and reliability,
- Easily adapt to changing requirements – by quickly scaling the warehouse up to 100 TB,
- Cost optimization – Azure SQL Database’s serverless Azure SQL Database service simplifies performance management and makes it easier for developers to focus on faster and more efficient application development with computational resources that are scaled automatically based on load demand.
If you are interested in using a modern database available in the cloud in your company, please contact us. Experienced EBIS consultants will take care of the implementation and maintenance of Azure SQL Database. Write – firstname.lastname@example.org or call – +48 12 307 06 35.